FAB FIBER CLASSES
KNITTING • CROCHET • WEAVING • SPINNING • FELTING • BRAZILIAN EMBROIDERY • DYEING
Most of our classes are offered on a one-one-one basis and can be scheduled to suit your schedule if the regular day does not suit your schedule. Also check out our Gatherings where you can pick up tips from more experienced fiber artists.
PLEASE CALL 727-827-2235 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
KNIT, PURL! KNIT, PURL!
Skill Level: Beginner-Intermediate. FEE $10 per hour with 2 hour minimum
Learn the basics and take the mystery out of yarn overs, knit two together and all kinds of tricks for FABulous knits.
Call 727-827-2235 to arrange an appointment at a convenient time for you.
CROCHET BASICS in 6 Easy Lessons
Skill Level: Beginner FEE $10 per hour with 2 hour minimum.
Time: 12:00 pm –2 pm
Crochet is not just about doilies and granny squares. With all the wonderful and exciting new yarns and the fabulous new books and patterns, crochet has something to offer to everyone…even you knitters, spinners, and weavers out there! Not only is crochet fun to learn and faster than knitting, it is very hot in the fashion industry right now. With these basic stitches ( you can make an infinite variety of projects in a short period of time. In this class you will learn not only the basic crochet stitches and edgings, but you will also learn about gauge, yarn weights and correlating hooks, crochet tools, and how to read basic crochet directions. Crochet is invaluable as an embellishment for knitted or woven projects, so come and join us to see what crochet can do for you! The first project is fashionable shawl but we will add other projects as you progress.
- A hook in sizes F, G, H and I (you may not use them all, but if you are a tight or loose crocheter, you may need to go up or down a size). You may want to purchase ergonomic hooks.
- A small ball of yarn to get you started, will be provided at the first class. Prior to the first class, please purchase – 2 skeins of bamboo yarn. Please, do not choose, black, navy blue, or white, as you will be unable to see the stitches in these colors.
- Bring your crochet tool kit: scissors, tape measure, locking ring markers or safety pins without coils, tapestry needle, pencil or pen.
We do encourage you to buy your materials from FAB Fiber, but we can get you started on our “learner” yarns.
Call 727-827-2235 to set an appointment.
ART TO WEAR from concept to completion
Instructor Elizabeth Neily is known for her one-of a kind creations using a variety of surface design techniques. In this class she will guide you through the basic steps of designing a project, selecting a colorway, choosing materials, and deciding on a technique.
- Design a wrap or bag
- Dye wool/fabric in gorgeous colors
- Spin art yarn or create felt
- Knit/Crochet/Weave/Embellish your design
FEE $295 for 3 days of personalized instruction with a week between each session. Limited to 2-3 participants. Group workshops also available.
Call FAB Fiber 727-827-2235 or cell 727-744-7051.
LET’S SCRUMBLE a.k.a. Free-Form Crochet and Knitting
Skill Level: Intermediate-Advanced
Wednesdays: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
FEE $20 /2 hour class
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced
This class introduces crocheters to the exciting world of free-form crochet where you get to experiment with all kinds of stitches and motifs to make bags, scarves, sweaters, and more. Students should be prepared to bring their own crochet hooks, scissors and markers. These can be great stash busters so bring a variety of yarns in interesting textures and colorways. Elizabeth will have her stash to dig into as well. Several books will be on hand to peruse for ideas.
- A hook in sizes B through H. Ergonomic hooks are available at FAB Fiber
- Variety of yarns to get you started. Plain worsted, DK, fingering weight yarns are best for motifs while novelty yarns can be added in as accents.
- Bring your crochet tool kit: scissors, tape measure, locking ring markers or safety pins without coils, tapestry needle, notebook, pencil or pen.
- When possible, please buy your materials from FAB Fiber.
Call 727-827-2235 or cell 727-7051.
Pin Weaving Basics
Fee $35 /6 hour class
MAKE A DAY OF IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!
BAG IT! Knit or Crochet
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Use up bits and pieces of yarn and ribbon to make these darling little bags. Knitted or crocheted
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced
Knit a little bag and scrumbled it together with a crocheted motif behind the button. It’s fully lined as well.
FREE FORM PATTERNS AND EMBELLISHMENTS
FEE $190 3-DAYS, 10-4 pm, with a week in-between to work on your project.
Skill Level: Intermediate – Advanced
Because of our limited space at FAB, this class is limited to 3 students. If you
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. Must have basic sewing skills. (If you have never sewn before, contact us about a class in learning to use your sewing machine.
Nothing is as exciting as making your own fabric out of bits and pieces of fabric from your stash or from fat-quarters. In this class you will learn to make a jacket pattern for your body shape.
Materials and Equipment
- 3-4 yards of 100% cotton for the lining from which will will also cut your pattern.
- 3-5 yards or more of assorted colors to build your outside layer by cutting up and/or stripping pieces of cloth. The appliqués used in this coat were cut from panels available at Jay’s Fabric Center, 801 Pasadena Ave S, St Petersburg, FL.
- Sharp shears
- Cutting board
- Thread to match fabric
- Sewing machine with extension cord
- Pearl Cotton #5 or embroidery thread in assorted colors
- Washable glue sticks
- Pins and embroidery/sewing needles
- Buttons and beads
- *** Please pre-wash and iron your fabrics before coming to class.
Learn to custom dyeing yarns and fabrics using Procion MX and Acid Dyes. Chose from one of these classes.
- Hand Painting Yarns – One skein of yarn and dyes provided. Extra available.
- Silk Scarf Dyeing – 2 each silk scarves – 11″ x 72″
Skill Level: Beginner
FEE $35 plus cost of extra yarn, scarf or garment. Call 727-827-2235 or cell 727-744-7051 to make your appointment with Elizabeth.
Weaving on a Rigid Heddle Loom
Date: TBA Time: 10 AM-5 PM
FEE 3-Day Class $150 plus $40 includes loom rental. Limited to 4 participants. $25 deposit secures your place.
You do not need a very complex loom to weave cloth. Many weavers still use simple looms. The rigid heddle loom is a simple loom that is inexpensive, easy and fun to use, portable, and very versatile. Learn to weave dishtowels, shawls, fabric for clothes and more. The goal of this class is to take you from the very beginning stages of warping and weaving on your loom through In the very first class you will go home having woven a multi-colored wool scarf. At this beginning level, we will assist you to improve your weaving skills and help you learn a variety of patterns. We have found that the repetition provided in these classes really does help students to retain what they have learned and to have the confidence to undertake new and exciting projects. This is a great way for knitters and crocheters to use up all those bits and pieces of yarns in their stash.
To book a class call Elizabeth 727-728-2235 or cell 727-744-7051
BRAZILIAN 3-D EMBROIDERY
Debbie Goff is one of the most talented designers of Brazilian Embroidery in the country. Not only does she teach the craft, she designs 3 new patterns a year to keep her devoted following happy!
Debbie takes you through the steps of each design, teaching you the basics of the stitches. She is in the shop most Saturdays and will set appointments for those who want to learn to stitch these amazing designs. Please check out her work in our “Throne Room Gallery.” This amazing skill deserves a page of its own, so Click here for details.