FAB FIBER CLASSES
KNITTING • CROCHET • WEAVING • SPINNING • FELTING • BRAZILIAN EMBROIDERY • DYEING
Most of our classes are offered on a one-one-one basis and can be scheduled to suit your schedule if the regular day does not suit your schedule. Also check out our Gatherings where you can pick up tips from more experienced fiber artists.
PLEASE CALL 727-827-2235 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
KNIT, PEARL! KNIT, PEARL!
Skill Level: Beginner-Intermediate
FEE: $10 per hour with 2 hour minimum
Learn the basics and take the mystery out of yarn overs, knit two together, laces, cables, and all kinds of tricks for FABulous knits.
Call 727-827-2235 to arrange an appointment
CROCHET BASICS in 6 Easy Lessons
Skill Level: Beginner FEE: $10 per hour with 2 hour minimum.
Time: 12:00 pm –2 pm
Crochet is not just about doilies and granny squares. With all the wonderful and exciting new yarns and the fabulous new books and patterns, crochet has something to offer to everyone…even you knitters, spinners, and weavers out there! Not only is crochet fun to learn and faster than knitting, it is very hot in the fashion industry right now. With these basic stitches ( you can make an infinite variety of projects in a short period of time. In this class you will learn not only the basic crochet stitches and edgings, but you will also learn about gauge, yarn weights and correlating hooks, crochet tools, and how to read basic crochet directions. Crochet is invaluable as an embellishment for knitted or woven projects, so come and join us to see what crochet can do for you! The first project is fashionable shawl but we will add other projects as you progress.
- A hook in sizes F, G, H and I (you may not use them all, but if you are a tight or loose crocheter, you may need to go up or down a size). You may want to purchase ergonomic hooks.
- A small ball of yarn to get you started, will be provided at the first class. Prior to the first class, please purchase – 2 skeins of bamboo yarn. Please, do not choose, black, navy blue, or white, as you will be unable to see the stitches in these colors.
- Bring your crochet tool kit: scissors, tape measure, locking ring markers or safety pins without coils, tapestry needle, pencil or pen.
We do encourage you to buy your materials from FAB Fiber, but we can get you started on our learner yarns.
Call 727-827-2235 to set an appointment.
LET’S SCRUMBLE a.k.a. Free-Form Crochet and Knitting
Skill Level: Intermediate-Advanced
Wednesdays: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
FEE: $20 /2 hour class
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced
This class introduces crocheters to the exciting world of free-form crochet where you get to experiment with all kinds of stitches and motifs to make bags, scarves, sweaters, and more. Students should be prepared to bring their own crochet hooks, scissors and markers. These can be great stash busters so bring a variety of yarns in interesting textures and colorways. Elizabeth will have her stash to dig into as well. Several books will be on hand to peruse for ideas.
- A hook in sizes B through H. Ergonomic hooks are available at FAB Fiber
- Variety of yarns to get you started. Plain worsted, DK, fingering weight yarns are best for motifs while novelty yarns can be added in as accents.
- Bring your crochet tool kit: scissors, tape measure, locking ring markers or safety pins without coils, tapestry needle, notebook, pencil or pen.
- When possible, please buy your materials from FAB Fiber.
NEW! Pin Weaving Basics Fee $35 /6 hour class
BAG IT! Knit or Crochet
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Use up bits and pieces of yarn and ribbon to make these darling little bags. Knitted or crocheted
FEE: $25 per bag.
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced
Knit a little bag and scrumbled it together with a crocheted motif behind the button. It’s fully lined as well.
FREE FORM PATTERNS AND EMBELLISHMENTS
Fee: $190/10+ hour class – 2-DAYS with a week in-between to works on your project.
Skill Level: Intermediate – Advanced
Because of our limited space at FAB, this class is limited to 3 students. If you
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. Must have basic sewing skills. (If you have never sewn before, contact us about a class in learning to use your sewing machine.
Nothing is as exciting as making your own fabric out of bits and pieces of fabric from your stash or from fat-quarters. In this class you will learn to make a jacket pattern for your body shape.
Materials and Equipment
- 3-4 yards of 100% cotton for the lining from which will will also cut your pattern.
- 3-5 yards or more of assorted colors to build your outside layer by cutting up and/or stripping pieces of cloth. The appliqués used in this coat were cut from panels available at Jay’s Fabric Center, 801 Pasadena Ave S, St Petersburg, FL.
- Sharp shears
- Cutting board
- Thread to match fabric
- Sewing machine with extension cord
- Pearl Cotton #5 or embroidery thread in assorted colors
- Washable glue sticks
- Pins and embroidery/sewing needles
- Buttons and beads
*** Please pre-wash and iron your fabric before coming to class.
We have set aside most Thursdays for custom dyeing yarns and fabrics using Procion MX and Acid Dyes or even other natural dyeing technique
Hand Painting Yarns – One skein of yarn and dyes provided.
Silk Scarf Dyeing – 2 each silk scarves – 11″x72″
Rust Dyeing fabric and garments
Skill Level: Beginner FEE: $35.00 plus cost of garment.
Call 727-827-2235 to make your appointment.
BRAZILIAN 3-D EMBROIDERY
Debbie Goff is one of the most talented designers of Brazilian Embriodery in the country. Not only does she teach the craft, she designs 3 new patterns a year to keep here devoted following happy. She is in the shop most Saturdays, but will set appointments for those who want private lessons at another time. Please check out our Throne Room Gallery of her work. This amazing skill deserves a page of its own, so Click here for details.